Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Overnight Refrigerator Oatmeal

Anyone else tried making Overnight Refrigerator Oatmeal?  I saw this on Pinterest and it didn't really interest me until a friend posted about it on Facebook.  It looked like a great idea for breakfast on the go, especially at crop weekends.  I had all the ingredients on hand so I whipped up 2 batches using frozen mangoes, vanilla yogurt and old fashioned oatmeal.  Results - it was good but dry.  There didn't seem to be enough liquid in the yogurt to properly hydrate the oats but I ate both batches.
A few weeks later, I tried it again.  This time instead of oats, I used granola and replaced the mango with blueberries.  Results - It was yummy but once again a little on the dry side.

I spent a few minutes on pinterest researching the recipe and noticed the addition of milk to the recipe.  Since I thought mine were dry, milk seemed like a great addition.  Next recipe, I added 1/3 cup of unsweetened coconut milk to oatmeal, vanilla yogurt and raspberries.  Results - it was really really bland and sour raspberries did NOT help at all. 

I really, really want this recipe to work so I'm going to give it another shot for my next weekend away.  This time around, I will use unsweetened coconut milk, oatmeal, vanilla yogurt and a sweeter fruit and a drizzle of honey.  I'll update here when I try it.  If you've tried this and have a good recipe, please share!!!

3 comments:

  1. I have been curious about this recipe too, I'll wait till you've perfected it!! :) T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going to try another batch this weekend...stay tuned!

      Delete
  2. I didn't get this from pinterest but have had versions of it for years. In the winter, I prefer warm oatmeal, and I agree with you that plain oats need either honey or I've used half a packet of equal to make the frozen fruit better. I also like it with milk, and usually add some nuts. At hotels with crops, I bring a packet of flavored oatmeal and make hot water in the hotel coffee maker :). In the summer, I make granola and have that with yogurt and fruit- since the granola already has honey in it, the flavor is good.

    ReplyDelete