Feliz Cinco de Mayo! This is a recipe I discovered at Shaw's, one of their free recipe cards that I have since lost. It's a recipe for a TACO CASSEROLE that no one in my house complains about when I place it on the dinner table :) It's a quick, simple and yummy meal that's cooked in the oven. I've also prepped it in advance and come home to slip it in the oven.
12 Taco shells
1lb ground beef or turkey
1 cup shredded mexican mix cheese
1 packet taco seasoning
1 can refried beans
1 12oz can diced tomatoes
1 4oz can chopped green chilies
chopped fresh cilantro, to taste
1. Cook ground meat until no longer pink. Add seasoning, 1/3 of diced tomatoes plus juice and cook following instructions.
2. Mix together refried beans, remaining diced tomatoes (drained), green chilies and cilantro.
3. Spray 9x13 pan with a little oil and spread bean mix evenly in the pan.
4. Heat oven to 400F
5. To assemble casserole - sprinkle cheese in the bottom of taco shell, spoon in meat and stand taco in the bean mix. Continue until pan is full :)
6. Sprinkle more cheese on top of tacos.
7. Cover with foil and place in oven. When mean mix is bubbly (about 20 minutes), remove foil and cook for another 5 minutes, or until tacos are crunchy.
8. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with sour cream and guacamole if you like. Enjoy!!!